1. You could make a box that Georgia Tech’s defensive opening was worse than it was in a Yellow Jackets’ detriment to Clemson in 2012, a final diversion coached by then-coordinator Al Groh’s before his exclusion dual days later.
(The abbreviations are yards per play, points per possession, third and fourth down conversions, plays of 20 yards or more, points per red section trip.)
A flattering poignant disproportion is who was on a field. The 2012 invulnerability had proven veterans like Jeremiah Attaochu, Jemea Thomas, Izaan Cross and Brandon Watts. In fact, 8 starters on that invulnerability opposite Clemson during a slightest done an NFL stay and a other 3 are still during Tech.
This isn’t to contend that 8 or some-more players on Saturday’s starting invulnerability can’t make NFL camps, yet we consider there’s a substantial operation in knowledge and eagerness to minister on this invulnerability that’s tough to recompense for. I’d disagree that a disproportion in “explosion plays” – 20 yards or some-more – suggests that there weren’t a breakdowns Saturday that seemed so common in a 2012 season, nonetheless Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins did a lot to emanate those breakdowns.
A vital problem Saturday was an inability to make a difference-making play. In a 2012 game, Boyd was sacked 3 times and intercepted twice, for instance. Saturday, UNC quarterback Marquise Williams was intercepted once and was sacked once, and that compulsory Tech rushing six.
In 2012, Clemson had 26 yards for loss. North Carolina had six.The Tar Heels had fumbled 12 times in their initial 6 games, yet Tech didn’t force a singular fumble.
Cornerback D.J. White provides another contrast. It was White who done one of a plays of a deteriorate opposite Virginia Tech with his fourth-quarter interception to put a Jackets in position to win a diversion in a final seconds. Saturday, he was incompetent to make a play on Williams’ 36-yard touchdown pass to far-reaching receiver Mack Hollins on fourth-and-6 in a fourth quarter. White was not helped that Tech’s seven-man pass rush couldn’t get to Williams in time to precipitate him or pierce him out of a pocket.
“I can’t usually censure it on one chairman or a secondary,” linebacker Quayshawn Nealy said. “We’ve got to all cover softened and we’ve got to get vigour on a quarterback. Just got to get softened as a whole defense.”
2. we don’t consider this is awfully surprising. Last year, with a 6 starters on a verge of possibly removing drafted or during slightest removing an NFL stay invite, a Jackets had a invulnerability that specialized in interlude a run (3.57 yards per carry, 11th in a country) and interlude opponents on third down (36.50 percent, 32nd).
There were questions about how this invulnerability would transport with so many unproven players during pivotal spots, utterly along a defensive line. Those questions have apparently proven to be founded. As was witnessed again Saturday, Tech is conjunction interlude a run (5.26, tied for 114th) nor interlude offenses on third down (50, 122nd).
Sacks are not indispensably a best magnitude of a pass rush, yet Tech has 8 of them in 7 games (tied for 115th in a country) and is vouchsafing hostile quarterbacks finish 65.2 percent (tied for 114th) of their passes. The group is averaging 25.9 passes per sack.
“We never unequivocally got any vigour on a guy,” manager Paul Johnson pronounced of Williams, “and never kept him from running, either.”
The normal group – that is, a teams tied for 71st in sacks – has 14 sacks. Think about this: If Tech had gotten dual sacks opposite North Carolina instead of one – it’s utterly probable a Jackets would have won a game.
Part of a problem is that a invulnerability is brief a lot of defensive linemen who were approaching to be on a group this year. Part of it is not carrying brought in or grown softened linemen. Part of it is not carrying softened blitzes or coverages called. Part of it is confronting dual flattering good quarterbacks a past dual games.
But, again, it’s kind of what was in a cards when a group began practicing in July. The weaknesses are throwing up.
I consider defensive finish KeShun Freeman is personification for a first-year beginner and will continue to get better. Everyone on a line solely for Kyle Travis and Shawn Green will be behind subsequent season, and should be improved. The invulnerability sum to move behind 8 starters subsequent year. But that’s where they’re headed, not where they are.
3. Williams was unusual for North Carolina. His line gave him time to chuck and he didn’t miss, completing 38 of 47 passes for 390 yards, adding 73 yards on a ground. His 416 yards of sum offense was eighth best by a Tech opponent. His 38 completions were fifth most.
He put Tech defensive coordinator Ted Roof in a bind. Roof could blitz, yet afterwards Williams could find a checkdown or pitch a round to a flats. He could rush 4 and play section coverage, yet Tech couldn’t get to Williams with four. The coverage seemed softer than you’d want, though. Tech was perplexing to keep him in a pocket, also, that was partly because a rush wasn’t some-more aggressive, defensive tackle Adam Gotsis said.
“It was reduction like removing adult a margin and some-more like perplexing to fist down a slot a bit,” he said. “I suspicion we did a flattering good pursuit of that, yet afterwards that also puts a aria on a secondary. We let him pat a round behind there, he’s going to make throws, and he did.”
4. It should maybe be forked out that a Tech invulnerability wasn’t personification opposite a garland of clowns. A week ago, a Tar Heels averaged 6.1 yards per play and 2.6 points per possession opposite Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. Saturday night, a same Notre Dame invulnerability hold a fortifying inhabitant champion, in a home stadium, to 5.7 yards per play and 2.8 points per possession.
It could be argued that Notre Dame wasn’t as invested opposite North Carolina as it was opposite Florida State – a Irish faced UNC between Stanford and a Seminoles – yet we don’t consider a Irish played final Saturday’s diversion wearing blindfolds, either. With Williams personification a approach he has a past dual games, a Tar Heels are a flattering manly bunch.
5. After going 0-for-2 on two-point tries Saturday, Tech is now 0-for-4 on a season, after blank dual attempts final Saturday opposite Duke. Opponents are 2-for-4 opposite a Jackets this season.
6. What substantially shouldn’t be abandoned is how good a offense indeed played. The Jackets ran 69 plays and put a round on a belligerent once, a mislaid fail on a initial possession. They averaged 8.9 yards per play, that is flattering staggering. According to a really useful propagandize diversion finder apparatus on sports-reference.com, before to this weekend, usually one energy discussion group had averaged some-more than that opposite another power-conference group all deteriorate (UCLA opposite Arizona State, 10.0).
In fact, it was a seventh best single-game yards-per-play normal in a Tech record books, including dual games opposite FCS schools. The offense ran 69 plays and usually got to third down 8 times, and converted 5 of those. (If you’re wondering, until Saturday, third-down plays had been about 18 percent of a team’s sum series of plays. Saturday, they done adult 12 percent.)
The offense averaged 3.9 points per possession (discarding a time-killing possession during a finish of a initial half), a really good number, utterly deliberation a normal starting position was a Tech 24-yard line.
After a mislaid fail on a opening drive, a Jackets scored 6 touchdowns and a margin idea a subsequent 8 times it had a round (not counting a possession during a finish of a initial half).
Granted, North Carolina is apparently not a really good defensive team, yet a Jackets played as good or softened than anyone has this season.
7. A comparison of Tech’s offense with a 2009 offense, both after 7 games, by yards per play, points per play and plays per turnover. (Granted, we consider anybody would contend a report of strength for a 2009 team’s initial 7 games was most worse than a 2014 team’s, yet it substantially isn’t ideal to review a 2009 team’s numbers after a full ACC report and a play game, either.)
8. Wide receiver DeAndre Smelter’s diversion – 3 touches (two catches and a run), 133 yards, dual touchdowns.
9. The Tech group that started 5-0 and a garland that has now mislaid dual in a quarrel – same team. The one that won a initial 5 played obtuse competition, got a integrate breaks and was removing turnovers during a rate that was evidently unsustainable, masking substantial deficiencies.
The group that has mislaid a final dual has played softened competition, hasn’t gotten breaks – or caused a breaks to go opposite themselves – and has seen a takeaway rate delayed considerably. Tech could be 7-0 with a disproportion of a integrate plays in both of a past dual games, and it could also be maybe 3-4 with a integrate plays a other way.
“It’s disappointing,” Johnson said. “You’re still 5-2, so we can still have a good season. We’re going to have to play better. It’s like we told a guys: We can win a rest of a games, we can remove a rest of a games.”
Saturday’s outcome doesn’t meant a group is doomed, we don’t think. But a Jackets need to figure out a approach to get softened play out of a invulnerability and not let a two-game losing strain impact a essence and eagerness to keep working. It’s one thing to get insane after losing one game. It’s another to serve a same ire after such a tummy punch of a loss.
“We usually can’t let it get to us,” reserve Demond Smith said. “It’s a prolonged season. We’ve got copiousness some-more games. We’ve usually got to keep playing. You never know what happens in a football game.”